Tuesday 16 September 2014

If you could live anywhere, where would you live? Why?

If I could choose anywhere to live, it'd have to be a place which I have history with. I would be entirely uncomfortable if I moved to a brand new city I knew nothing about. That's why I would choose Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia, is the top "most livable city" in the world. Founded in 1835, this city has so many points of interest. Some of my favourites are the Royal Botanic Gardens, Federation Square and Hosier Lane. I have been coming to these areas since before I could remember; when I was two, a friend and I hid behind the observatory in the Botanic Gardens and our parents couldn't find us for at least an hour. All these sites have my memorable moments linked to them, and it's what makes them so special.

As well as these landmarks, Melbourne has developed so much character over the years. Different parts of the city have different vibes. For instance, Luna Park and St. Kilda Beach have the same kind of vibe that Los Angeles would have, and the CBD (Central Business District) is more similar to here, in Toronto. It is also a very diverse city, with so many different cultures.

Going back to having history in the city, I was born in Melbourne. I've lived all over the place, and both my grandparents live on either sides of the city. All my childhood friends live there as well, from before I was born to people I only met a few years ago. I know everything about it, and it feels like home.

In my opinion, these are some bold reasons as to why someone would want to live somewhere. Melbourne is most likely the place I know and appreciate the most; it's significant to me, there's so much to explore, and almost everyone important in my life is there. I know I won't move back in a while, but every time I visit, I feel like I'm home.


1 comment:

  1. Having a connection of some kind to a city is hugely important but you can also run the risk of becoming bored with it if you have been there long enough. Enjoying a city as a child is different from enjoying it as an adult.

    Great post Georgi. Try to make sure that all your sub-topics are listed in your introductory paragraph. This gives the audience a chance to understand what you will be talking about in the body of your essay. Your introductory paragraph was your weakest paragraph out of all of them.

    16/20

    ReplyDelete