Tuesday 27 January 2015

Music Review: I Love You

"I Love You" Album Cover
       The Neighbourhood is an American indie rock band, and ultimately, one of my favourite bands of all time. And even though I have been in love with their music for a year or so, I never really listened to any of their music in depth. In the past two weeks, I have seemed to finally understand the music in this album, the lyrics, and how musically strong it really is.

       It's hard to identify a mood to this album. The indie songs, with an almost hip-hop feel to them, make it soothing, yet incredibly catchy and easy to sing along to. As for the lyrics, while I was doing my research on this album, I came across a review that stated, if you listen to the songs in order, the what seem to be "immature" lyrics have a lot more meaning than what is first heard.

       "This album is autobiographical, starting in the preteen years, the loss of religion/faith (How), pre-teen and teen relations and rivals(Afraid and Everybody's Watching Me), puppy love (Sweater Weather), still working on Let it Go. Then moves on to childhood reflection in Alleyways, where the teen starts to think back on simpler times in life. Then more mature relationships problems reveal themselves in WDYWFM, and first true love in Flawless. Female Robbery deals with depression in the aftermath of losing that first love. The songwriter then shows how they dealt with that depression through music in Staying up and reflecting on the childs past as they move on into adulthood with Float. " ~Unknown Reviewer
The Neighbourhood

       After reading this review, I decided to listen to the album once more, in order. I'm not sure why, but I was listening from a different perspective. Having a storyline to connect to the melody made my job of comprehending the lyrics a lot easier.

       A few of my favourite songs off the album are How, W.D.Y.W.F.M., Let it Go, Flawless, and Female Robbery. The lyrics in these particular songs aren't necessarily significant to me in any way, but there's something about them that draws me in. Another favourite of mine, while not on this album, is a mashup/cover of Say My Name by Beyoncé, and Cry Me A River by Justin Timberlake.  I can't say I had any dislikes when it came to this review, but one thing that came to my mind was that the band has so many more songs that could have the potential to be added to this record, while sadly only eleven were chosen.

       I personally love this album. It has the full package, from the catchy songs, to the hidden meaning beyond the lyrics. Not only is it The Neighbourhood's debut record, but it is one I highly recommend listening to.

★★★★✬
9/10

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic review Georgi! I a glad that you got a chance to listen to something you love with a new perspective.
    If the lyrics don't have any real significance to you, what do you think draws you in to each song? It would be interesting to listen to the album again with that in mind to see what it is that makes you like these songs.

    19/20

    ReplyDelete