Monday 23 February 2015

Game Review: Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7

"Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7"
Game Cover
     I'm going to be honest; I don't play video games. I'm generally not interested in them, nor am I generally good at them. The only game I can properly play and win, is MarioKart Wii. However, my brother, James, is highly skilled in that department. I asked him what game I should do for this media review. He simply handed me an old DS, and a game to go along with it. This game was one of the ones he used to play a few years back (he said it was the easiest to play). 

     Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 is a game that can be played on many platforms, such as PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Portable (PSP), PlayStation Vita (PSV), Wii, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, Microsoft Windows, and even iOS.

     In this game, you go through the last three Harry Potter stories, with everything entirely made out of Lego. The first chapter of the game is the first scene in Order of the Phoenix, where Harry and Dudley are at the playground. They then go to the Ministry of Magic because Harry used magic outside of Hogwarts, and Dumbledore shows up and fixes everything (everything that happens in the first twenty minutes of the movie).

     The mechanics are very simple in this game: •  A button: pick up/build objects (basically
                                                                                 anything you can't do with the other buttons)
                                                                             •  B button: jump/block in duels
                                                                             •  Y button: cast spells
                                                                             •  X button: change characters
                                                                             •  Control Pad/Circle Pad: move around

First scene in the game: Harry is fighting off a Death Eater.
     I didn't play the whole game because at my pace, you'd need months to do so. However,  I did finish the first year. Personally, I like how simple this game is. It's challenging because you have to use your brain to get through some levels, but it is very easy to control. I also like how close they related the game to the books and movies. The graphics on the other hand, are terrible. Before every new scene in the movie, there's a video with no talking to explain what has happened, and to give you and idea of what to do. These videos are probably the lowest quality videos I've seen in a long time. I also didn't like how long it took to use a spell; it might have just been that I was terrible at playing, but every time I tried to destroy either a death eater or a droid and move on to the next level, it took forever to change to the spell I wanted to use, aim and wait for the spell to be ready. And if I waited too long by a millisecond, I'd be killed.

★★★☆☆
6/10

1 comment:

  1. The LEGO games are good simple fun. The graphics are bad, but I think that is intentional.
    They do follow the source material pretty closely, which is why, I think, people like them so much.

    Your mark is on the classroom.

    ReplyDelete